- To evolve sustainable development strategies and methods to integrate environmental, social and economic aspects.
- To facilitate and promote human resource development for the sustainable management of natural resources through education and research.
- To establish advanced facilities and promote research and extension activities.
- To establish linkages with National and International Institutions for collaborative academic and research programmes.
- To impart training to personnel of local bodies, NGOs, institutions, students, teachers, farmers and various groups which require capacity building.
- To promote the values of sustainable development through documentation and dissemination of traditional environmental wisdom and practices.
- To provide consultancy services in environmental and sustainable development projects.
- To support communities, local institutions and policy makers with scientific data through interdisciplinary studies for evolving sustainable development policies.